How we became one of Person County's favorite destinations for a great meal!
In 1910 a group of young men in Person County formed an organization for the purpose of building a lodge at Loch Lilly which is now known as Chub Lake. The lodge was used for recreational purposes until the mid 1930's when the newly-formed Roxboro Country Club purchased the old lodge. In late 1969 a new clubhouse was built and RCC vacated the old lodge.
Bobby Dixon, Macon Ollis, and Aaron and Wesley Long took over the the old lodge and turned it into a restaurant, The Old Country Club Steak House, which operated from March 31, 1970 until Thomas Long purchased the restaurant equipment in October of 1972.
Thomas kept the name, but had many plans for renovation and expansion. A small stockroom was transformed into a private dining room. When the line of customers became so long that people were standing outside, Thomas enclosed the back porch to provide a waiting area. At the same time, the kitchen grill area was enlarged to accommodate two cooks instead of one. The first major addition to the restaurant was the construction of a large main dining room known as the right wing.
The front porch which was previously screened, was enclosed and made into another dining room. At the same time the basement, which is at ground level at the front of the building, was enlarged and the dining area was increased in size.
In 1975 Thomas added the left wing, thereby greatly increasing the restaurant's seating capacity. He started the restaurant with a 12' x 20' kitchen and as the business increased the size of the kitchen did, too. It now measures 36' x 36'.
Thomas Long operated the restaurant for.... and his restaurant has became one of Person County's favorite places for a delicious meal, a family gathering or a large social event. The restaurant is now owned and operated by Thomas's children and grandchildren Edwin Long, Marie Whitt and Chris Long.